This microcourse is included in a series of nine microcourses that can be bundled together into our Microcertificate in UN SDG Impact. Click here to learn more: UN SDG Microcertificate.
In a world where exponential and rapid change is everyday news, there is a growing need for a new generation of leaders. Those who want to lead in our more closely-connected world must have a deep understanding of their own strengths, traits, and philosophy (a leader’s authenticity is easily fact-checked online). They must develop themselves into master listeners, able not just to hear their followers, but listen to them in a way that creates buy-in and personal investment while still being able to make decisions and move forward. They must seek partnerships, know how to co-create, and not fear competition. This microcourse will teach you the major components of leadership needed in the world today, guiding you in determining your own leadership journey.
By the end of this microcourse you should be able to:
- identify many of the leadership competencies needed for an age of global connection and disruption;
- learn the basis of leadership through empathy, creating in followers a strong desire to be led;
- assess your own strengths and create a map of the leadership expertise you wish to develop; and,
- create your own scenario in which you seek to become a stronger leader; assess the needs of a leader in that scenario; outline where your current strengths and gaps are in taking on a greater leadership role; and commit to the first steps of deeper learning, experience, and involvement.
Lowell Aplebaum, MA, CAE is the CEO and Strategy Catalyst of Vista Cova – a company that partners with organizations on strategic visioning and planning, creating stronger governance models, and reimagining value and engagement. Lowell frequently provides dynamic sessions to organizations – facilitating leadership development and getting stakeholders involved through experiential learning approaches. He currently serves as the Chair for the overseeing commission for the Certified Association Executive certification, and Chaired ASAE’s Task Force on CEO Pathways. His work on global efforts for non-profits has included experience across five continents, hundreds of volunteer groups, and all 50 states in the U.S.
- Lite: $35
Our shopping cart is simple and easy to understand. If you do not have a user account, you will be able to create one upon purchase. Save your username and password as you will need it to login to access course materials later. For more detailed, step-by-step instructions you can review our tutorial How to Purchase a Course. Again, if you experience any issues, please email our Registrar at email@example.com.
Microcourse Contact Information:
Microcourses are completely on-demand for your convenience. If you have questions or require additional assistance, click the “Chat” button down on the left-hand side of the screen, and submit your question. Our help desk will respond as soon as possible. Please do not email faculty directly with any technology or registration issues.
Single microcourses do not qualify for academic credit. However, enrolled students can add three microcourses together, purchase a Microcourse Credit Conversion option, pay the difference between the cost of the microcourses and a regular trimester course at their degree level and submit your reflection journals and a Final Creative Assignment for grading. For assistance with this, please email our Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LIDT - Week One – Why Does Leadership Matter?
LIDT - Week One - Leadership Through Intentional Empathy
LIDT - Week One - Leaders Who Listen
LIDT - Week Two - Leaders Ask the Right Questions
LIDT - Week Two - Vision: Creation and Expression
LIDT - Week Two - Barriers to Leadership
LIDT - Week Three - Non-Traditional Leadership
LIDT - Week Three - Detecting Disruption, Developing Foresight
- LIDT - Week Three - Detecting Disruption, Developing Foresight - Video
- LIDT - Week Three - Detecting Disruption, Developing Foresight - Additional Materials
- LIDT - Week Three - Detecting Disruption, Developing Foresight - Reflection Task
- LIDT - Week Three - Detecting Disruption, Developing Foresight - Quiz
LIDT - Week Three - Disruption Leadership and Response: Causing Disruption, Creating Transformation
- LIDT - Week Three - Disruption Leadership and Response: Causing Disruption, Creating Transformation - Video
- LIDT - Week Three - Disruption Leadership and Response: Causing Disruption, Creating Transformation - Additional Materials
- LIDT - Week Three - Disruption Leadership and Response: Causing Disruption, Creating Transformation - Reflection Task
- LIDT - Week Three - Disruption Leadership and Response: Causing Disruption, Creating Transformation - Quiz