Ubiquity University aspires to be a truly global university. We believe the time has come for academic institutions to transcend the confines of national limitations and develop new forms of education designed for a world challenged by hyper-complexity and dynamic change. This requires a new gold standard in education, one embedded in a global ethos and embracing innovation as central to academic excellence.
Our university was founded in California in 1996 as a non-profit graduate school offering in person PhD, DMin and MA degrees licensed by the California Bureau of Private and Postsecondary Education (BPPE). In 2012, the school transitioned into a for-profit education and technology company and expanded its offerings to include online BA, MBA, EMBA, and MA degrees as well as a range of other educational products and a technology platform. In 2014, the university was notified that all schools under the aegis of the BPPE needed to seek accreditation under a new licensing authority by January 2017.
This provided an opportunity to design a multi-jurisdictional accreditation framework along the following lines:
- Ubiquity University is accredited by the Accreditation Service for International Schools, Colleges and Universities (ASIC) in the United Kingdom. ASIC is recognized by the British Government Home Office and is a member of the British Quality Foundation. ASIC is an affiliate of the European Network for Quality Assurance (ENQA) and an institutional member of the European Distance and E-Learning Network (EDEN). Accreditation by ASIC conforms to the educational standards of Britain and the European Union. ASIC is also a member of the U.S. Council on Higher Education’s International Quality Group (CIQG) and conforms to the highest U.S. educational standards. ASIC accredits 320 colleges and universities in 60 countries around the world.
- Ubiquity University is an Institutional Member of Quality International Study Abroad Network (QISAN). QISAN members demonstrate professional and ethical practice in recruitment and delivery of high quality and relevant programmes of study. QISAN members must also demonstrate a caring and supportive attitude to students as well as having a strict code of discipline regarding attendance and study practices.
- Ubiquity University is also a Member of the Global Universities in Distance Education Association (GUIDE), founded in 2005 by Marconi University (Rome, Italy) with the aim to develop and support international cooperation and open and distance learning worldwide. GUIDE promotes the implementation of innovative results, insights and best practices in order to identify present, emergent and future needs of stakeholders and highlight potential areas for strategic partnership and transnational cooperation.
- Ubiquity is in the process of obtaining national accreditation in the United States. It is also exploring affiliation agreements with several accredited universities.
- Ubiquity is aligning all programs, courses and competencies to the formal Australian Framework which has official correlates to the European Qualification Framework and the ASEAN qualifications framework. The Australian Framework allows credentials to be mapped to comparable credentials internationally. This is what forms the basis of Ubiquity’s UbiCert Global Standard Credentials®, internationally comparable competency-based professional and academic credentials. All of Ubiquity’s competency-based badges, diplomas and degrees are benchmarked against these globally-recognized standards.
- Ubiquity is working with a range of partners to establish the Global Accreditation Council. We believe that global rather than simply national and regional accreditation is required in a global world. We also hold that given the challenges confronting humanity, education needs to be infused with innovation as never before. New accreditation standards need to be developed to keep pace with what the world situation requires and what the emerging generation of students demand. We welcome partners to join in this enterprise.
These Ubiquity accreditations provide the basis for our operations as a global university. We will adjust our architecture and degree granting capacities as appropriate as we grow.