What is the Global Sustainability Challenge?
The Ubiquity Global Sustainability Challenge (UGSC) is a worldwide effort to support our students involvement in solving global problems specifically related to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). The Award of $25,000 USD (twenty-five thousand dollars) is intended to empower successful candidates to bring their projects to fruition in a way that affects positive change. The UGSC Award will be presented to the best project or new business idea that specifically addresses one, or more, of the 17 UN SDGs:
The first UGSC Award Recipient will be announced in July 2019, and featured during an event to be held in conjunction with the UN General Assembly meeting in September 2019 in partnership with participating UN agencies and co-sponsoring partners from the NGO, corporate, and multilateral institution communities.
Why are we launching the Ubiquity Global Sustainability Challenge?
Ubiquity is all about social and environmental impact. We take the stand that academic institutions must be more than simply disseminators of knowledge. We believe they must actively nurture social and environmental activism and equip students to address urgent global needs. This is why Ubiquity is inviting students from around the world to join us and transform their personal passion into helping solve challenges critical to the human future.
Ubiquity is dedicated to empowering changemakers. Through the UGSC, Ubiquity seeks to become an epicenter of global change agents working together to solve real problems worldwide. This is our way of investing in the future—by investing in the creativity of our youth.
What will you gain from the Ubiquity Global Sustainability Challenge?
If your team project is selected by an independent panel of judges, your team will receive $25,000USD to bring your idea to life. This is a life changing opportunity. But that’s not all. Every participant has much to gain from taking part in this challenge in the following ways:
- Engage with real-life challenges and stakeholders to generate ideas that could change the world.
- Become a part of the Ubiquity Impact Community and collaborate with fellow students, mentors and partners as you create and execute your impact project.
- Access Ubiquity’s wealth of resources to gain the knowledge, the networks and the guidance you need to move your project from ideation to rollout.
How can you participate?
To participate in the 2018/2019 UGSC you must:
- Be a student of Ubiquity University enrolled in, and successfully passing, at least one micro-course or regular trimester course during the 2018/2019 academic year.
- Form a team of no less than two, but no more than five fellow students to collaborate around your idea.
- Meet all eligibility requirements.
- Follow all submission guidelines as required by the UGSC Full Official Rules and Regulations found below.
Ubiquity offers students a special series of seven optional Micro-Courses, above and beyond the courses in our normal catalog, specifically designed to help students effectively participate in the UGSC. Take a look at our Microcourses.
Completion of this special series also gets you a Micro-Certificate in SDG Impact, as well as badges you can share on your social media or other platforms. Purchase of this series is not mandatory, but you may find it helpful. Purchase of these micro-courses, either individually or the entire series will not, in any way, affect the decisions of our independent Judging Panel, increase your team’s likelihood of becoming our Grand Prize Recipient or affect participation in any other way other than building specific competencies we believe our students need to effectively act in the world.
Deadline to declare intent to participate for the 2018/2019 cycle is December 31, 2018.
Click Here to Read the UGSC Full Official Rules and Regulations
Do you have more questions? Read the FAQ