PhD in Psychedelic Studies
The Next Frontier in Therapeutic Practice
This program will be taking new applications in March 2023.
Ubiquity has established a partnership with the non-profit Panthera to offer a Master of Arts (MA) degree in Integrative Psychedelic Therapy, and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Psychedelic Studies.
These offerings involve a profound integrative training with a program of three to four years of length with at least a 1,400-hour intensity; pilgrimages into indigenous reservations in the Amazon, Mexico, and the Congo basin; a profound commitment to personal transformation and shadow work through experiential transpersonal psychotherapy; and rigorous academic demands.
As we experience a powerful rebirth of psychedelic therapy and rapid globalization of shamanic practices related to psychedelic plant medicines; and while more and more people express the incredible effect that these treatments are having in their health and in the health of the planet in general by supporting efforts of empathy, sustainability, and conflict resolution; unfortunately, access to serious psychedelic training and therapy supervision is extremely limited. This educational program is a project of social impact which is focused on addressing the current gap in psychedelic education and supervision with the intention of reducing risks associated with poor psychedelic-assisted facilitation, and with the intention of contributing to the expansion of research in psychedelic studies, currently so instrumental for this new field.
Program of Study
Prerequisites: Master’s Degree in any field (transcript with proof of graduation is required)
Admissions Process: Submit your information here and Panthera will contact you regarding the admissions process: https://www.psychedelicmedicine.net/apply
This Doctorate degree is composed of 155 credits made up of study courses and modules, residential retreats, social practice and supervision, and a dissertation. Partner degrees do not allow for course substitution unless clearly specified.
Psychedelic therapy online modules (58 credits):
24 modules throughout the 6 semesters. The modules include live webinars once a week, forum interactions, complementary readings, practical exercises, and meetings with the tutors. The students are expected to dedicate approximately 7 hours a week.
- Historical and philosophical concepts in psychedelic therapy
- Ethics and Care
- Psychedelic Crisis and Harm Reduction
- Preparation, Integration, and After Care
- Transpersonal Psychology
- Entheogenic Shamanism(s)
- Psychopathology and Mental Health
- Transpersonal Approaches to Mental Health
- Psychosis, spiritual emergency, and spiritual competency
- MDMA assisted psychotherapy
- Psychedelic mushrooms and Psilocybin
- Iboga and Ibogaine
- New chemicals and other ethnobotanicals
- Applied transpersonal psychotherapy
- Entheogenic Shamanic Practices: Principles & Tools
- Sound and Music
- Somatic therapies
- Legal Panoramas for psychedelic therapy, research, and activism
Residential Retreats (50 credits):
Approximately 100 contact hours each.
- 3 Transpersonal retreats. These are dedicated to experiential psychotherapy where students will have the opportunity to do personal work, healing, and self-knowledge while at the same time learning first hand from expert psychotherapists while they work with amplified states of consciousness, bodywork, gestalt, family constellations, and meditation.
- 3 pilgrimages. These are pilgrimages to indigenous territories where students will begin to build relationships with authentic psychedelic communities and elders while learning from their shamanic traditions and power plants.
Ubiquity University Core Courses (11 credits): A set of 3 required courses
- The Creative Journey to Dissertation: Finding your Voice, Making your Mark (Gyorgyi Szabo, PhD – UU – online) (4 credits)
- Chartres Academy (UU – in-person/virtual) (4 credits)
- Foundation in Soft Skills and UN SDGs (Shelly Alcorn, UU – online) (3 credits)
Dissertation (36 credits):
At the end of your coursework, you are required to write a dissertation. Here is a link to our Dissertation Manual.
The rules guiding our assignment collection and grading process can be found here: Ubiquity University Grading Policy
Information about how we process refund or cancellation requests can be found here: Refund and Cancellation Policy
Total program cost: $46,500
Enrollment deposit: $1,800 (non refundable)
Each semester’s cost (x6): $4000 (The semester cost includes the online classes and food, accommodation, and inner transportation for the residential retreat.)
Ubiquity core courses (x3): $3300 (you pay for the courses as you go, not all at once)
Dissertation fee: $10,800 (This fee includes the Major Advisor fee, Dissertation Proposal fee, Dissertation submission and assessment fee, Oral exam fee, External examiner fee, e-diploma fee, and various admin fees.)
For more information, see the Psychedelic Therapy Program Handbook
This training is offered strictly for educational purposes only. It does not promote, condone, or facilitate illegal activity in any way. Remember that for the time being, some psychedelic substances remain illegal in many countries. Psychedelic Therapy Training and ONCA offer education and harm reduction, but are not responsible for how psychedelic substances are used by trainees outside of supervised sessions.
This training will make sure that students have an ample array of tools and experience to accompany psychedelic therapy processes, but due to government regulations, for the time being, the Psychedelic Therapy Training cannot, and does not, offer medical licenses for students to provide psychedelic-assisted therapy services.
As a global institution, Ubiquity University is not accredited by any single state or nation. We are a member of the Global Accreditation Council which seeks to establish a new standard for universal education dedicated to regenerative ecological, social and spiritual principles.
Information about how we process refund or cancellation requests can be found here: Refund and Cancellation Policy.